Foreign visitors to Amsterdam and corona
Tourists and visitors are welcome in Amsterdam. However, it is important that everyone adheres to the rules that apply in the Netherlands. This is the only way that we can stop the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19).These basic rules apply to everyone:
- Keep a distance of 1.5 metres from others (2 arms lengths). This is not necessary if you belong to the same household.
- Avoid busy places: leave an area if it becomes difficult to socially distance.
- Do not shake hands.
- Wash your hands with soap and water regularly.
- Do you have symptoms or mild symptoms? Stay home and get tested.
- Cough and sneeze into the crook of your elbow.
- Use paper tissues to blow your nose and put them in the bin straight after use.
- Non-surgical face masks are mandatory on public transport.
These rules are for your own safety and that of others around you.
What you should do if you become ill
What if you develop symptoms during your stay in Amsterdam that could be a sign of coronavirus (COVID-19)? Stay in your hotel and follow one of the steps below.
1. Mild symptoms? Get tested at the GGD Amsterdam (Public Health Service of Amsterdam)
Mild symptoms of coronavirus include: runny nose, sore throat, cough or fever. Sudden loss of smell or taste can also be a symptom of COVID-19.
You can make an appointment by:
- Calling: 0800 – 1202 (7 days a week from 8am to 8pm; also speak English). Please note: you cannot call the 0800 number using a foreign mobile phone. In that case, call +31850659063.
- You will usually be able to get a test done at one of the testing stations in Amsterdam within 48 hours.
- Stay in your hotel and keep a distance from others until you receive your test results.